2010/05/18

類似語を使いこなす

This week’s question focuses on using words with similar meanings. Hiroe and I were doing some work last week when we came across the word, “revere.” There are many words that are similar, but of course, each has a different nuance and are therefore, NOT THE SAME! Here are some of the words that are similar to “revere”:

admire someone (or something)
adore someone (or something)
idolize someone
respect someone (or something)
look up to someone (or something)

So that made me think. Who do I revere? Who do I admire, Who do I adore? Who do I idolize? Who do I respect and who do I look up to?

So in order to practice some similar English vocabulary, this week’s question is WHO or WHAT do you:

revere
admire
adore
idolize
respect
look up to

Let me see if I can explain more by giving you my answers.

I revere Martin Luther King, Jr. because of his courage and his commitment to nonviolent resistance even when he was faced with incredible hatred and violence.

I admire humility and selflessness. Only some people can have a world impact. However, I think that everyone can impact their part of the world by respecting others and helping people whenever we can.

I adore my wife Hiroe because of her inner and outer beauty, her sense of humor and her perpetual energy.

I idolize Elvis Presley because he was a one of a kind. And the greatest performer ever!

I respect Hiroe’s family’s work ethic. They are principled and always have their priorities in order.

I look up to my older brother Patrick because of his sense of honor and duty and his attitude about life. He never backs down from a challenge or hurdle in life.

So, how about you. Who or what are some things you revere, admire, adore, idolize, respect or look up to? I will look forward to hearing your thoughts when we speak this week.

Be well,

Keith//

This week’s vocabularies:

similar
類似した
came across
(偶然に)目にする、見つける
revere
崇敬する(崇めるという意味で、尊敬の最上位)
nuance
ニュアンス、微妙な意味合い
admire
立派であり、すばらしいと思う/感心するという意味の尊敬
adore
敬愛する/大好きである
idolize
熱中/心酔する
respect
敬意を払う(一般的に使われることが一番多い)
look up to
尊敬する(「見上げる」という意味から、年齢や立場が明らかに目上の人に対して使われることが多い)
nonviolent resistance
非暴力抵抗運動
faced with
面と向き合う
humility
謙虚さ
selflessness
無我の心
perpetual energy
絶えることのないエネルギー
one of a kind
この世に1つしかない
work ethic
仕事に対する倫理観
principled
主義に基づいた生き方
priorities in order.
優先順位にかなってやっている
duty
義務/責任
backs down
折れる/降参する
hurdle
ハードル/障害

0 件のコメント: