2009/12/21

今年を振り返って、あなたは何に感謝しますか?

We are nearing the end of the year and that is, for most people, a time to reflect on life and especially the last year. I am no exception and have been spending the last few weeks thinking about where I am, what I have, what I want, what I need, what is important to me and most importantly, what I am thankful for in my life.

So I will share some of my answers with you and then I would like you to start this week’s lesson by answering some of the same questions about your own life.

If you have any questions about vocabulary, please look below. So, this week’s question is:

At the end of 2009, what are you thankful for? (今年を振り返って、あなたは何に感謝しますか?)

My answer:

First and foremost, I am thankful for my health and the health of my wife, Hiroe. We have an occasional cold or headache, but for the most part, we are healthy. And there is nothing more important than you health in my opinion.

I am thankful for my mom, brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, cousins, and
all my in laws.

I am also thankful for my dog—it’s true that dogs are man’s best friend.

I am thankful for my friends. I have added some new ones this year and that is always a wonderful thing.

This December, I am thankful for my electric blanket since my bedroom and house are so cold.

And finally, I am thankful for all of my students. They are kind, motivated (usually!), funny and generous. I hope that we can continue our fun into the next year.

Happy new year everyone. I will look forward to speaking to you soon.

Stay safe and warm,

Keith//

This week's vocabularies:

reflect:
自動詞
1
〈光が〉反射する;〈鏡などが〉光[熱]を反射[反照]する, 〈音が〉反響する.
2
I (副 詞)](を)熟考する, 再考する, 思案する⦅on, upon, over ...
reflect on the problem
|その問題を熟考[再考]する

exception/iksépʃən/

1
例外, 除外(exclusion)
with the exception of ...
を除いて
without exception
|例外なく.

thankful/θǽŋkfəl/
形容詞⦅通例叙述⦆〈人が〉(人に;を)感謝している⦅to ...for ...⦆;(ということを)ありがたく思っている⦅to do, that節⦆;〈言動が〉感謝を表している. GRATEFUL[類語]
I am extremely thankful to him for his help.
|彼の援助に深く感謝している
I was thankful to breathe the fresh air.
|新鮮な空気を吸えてうれしかった
I am thankful that he came.
|彼が来てくれたことをありがたく思っている.

first and foremost
まっ先に, 何よりもまず.

occasional/əkéiʒənəl/
形容詞⦅通例限定⦆
1
時折の, 時々の, 折々の
an occasional mistake
|たまたま犯した誤り
an occasional thunderstorm
|時々来る雷雨
We ran into occasional difficulties.
|時々困難な問題にぶつかった.

man’s best friend:
人間のベストフレンド

an electric blanket
|電気毛布

thankful/θǽŋkfəl/
形容詞⦅通例叙述⦆〈人が〉(人に;を)感謝している⦅to ...for ...⦆;(ということを)ありがたく思っている⦅to do, that節⦆;〈言動が〉感謝を表している. GRATEFUL[類語]
I am extremely thankful to him for his help.
|彼の援助に深く感謝している
I was thankful to breathe the fresh air.
|新鮮な空気を吸えてうれしかった
I am thankful that he came.
|彼が来てくれたことをありがたく思っている.

0 件のコメント: