2010/08/01

他国の文化からあなたが学んだことは?

In this week’s question, I wonder what (if anything) you have learned from others, specifically, other cultures.

As for me...

Since I first traveled to Japan, I feel very fortunate about my personal perspective: I have been able to see America from the outside looking in and I have been able to be an outsider on the inside of Japan. And the one part about living in Japan that has been the most fascinating to me is the subtlety of the culture and the people. Of course not always, but more often than not, the methodical and reserved disposition is the norm in Japan and perhaps that is why I feel a little more comfortable living here in Ise City than I ever have in the US.

Being an American and especially in my house, since I grew up with 7 brothers and sisters, I learned from a very young age that usually the person who is loudest, usually gets what he or she wants. That idea seems to be quite opposite of life in Japan. And even though here are many things that American boldness and daring has brought the world, for me, when there is too much of it, it makes me feel a little uneasy. Living in Japan gives me a sense of calmness that I cannot always find when living in America.

So how about you? What are some things (if anything) that you have learned from other cultures you have been exposed to?

I will look forward to hearing your answers when we speak next.

Keith//

specifically
特に

fortunate
運が良い(恵まれている)

personal perspective
個人的な視点

from the outside looking in
外側から覗く

an outsider on the inside of Japan
日本の中の部外者

fascinating
惹き付けられる

subtlety
繊細さ

methodical
几帳面さ

reserved disposition is the norm
控えめな姿勢が平均的である

the person who is loudest, usually gets what he or she wants
声を一番上げる人が、通常ほしいものを得る

boldness
図太さ

daring
大胆さ

uneasy
落ち着かない

0 件のコメント: